Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Reading an old Interview magazine

From Interview. June 2009
very tame compared with most John Currin's

CURRIN: Yeah, it’s like being alive. It’s not superman that you’re making. Another big realization for me was: Just don’t do things that depress you. I realized if it depresses me, then I just don’t want to get close to it. If it brings me down, I just really can’t get into it. I think a big problem with art school is that it makes people feel like they have to be interested in everything that’s of high quality.
O’BRIEN: Yeah.
CURRIN: Donald Judd’s work is high quality, but it depresses me. And so immediately I could just say, “I don’t have to worry about Donald Judd now.” [laughs] It’s great. And I think a lot of people take a more scholarly approach where they feel like you’re supposed to study things that depress you.
O’BRIEN: Yeah.
CURRIN: But I think there’s not enough time to be interested in those things. And there’s so much that doesn’t depress me. There are aspects of repetition that also depress me. Seriality depresses me. Performance depresses me. Lack of narrative depresses me. All those kinds of cool things bring me down. So that was an important development for me, just realizing that you need to follow your pleasure, at least as a painter. I think any kind of artist needs to, no matter what you’re doing.

This really struck a cord....

also
This site is nice
I saw Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette the other day, I'm very taken with it. I believe it was a bit of a flop, I wonder if that was because it was too pretty? I can see it as an immersion in beauty and girlish -ness, there's nothing wrong with that.
before
after

No comments: